Sunday, May 20, 2012

Going natural...

I have spent the last several months making some changes in our home.  I made these changes for a few reasons, but mostly to reduce cost.  Most of the ingredients are inexpensive, naturally occurring products.  The start up cost of all this has been less than $20.
This website says you only need 3 products to clean your whole house!  I have found several more "recipes" that require other ingredients, but this is a great place to start.
I created a pinterest board and named it "saver" where I have been saving all my recipes.

might have to try this one.
















One of the first cleaners I made was the all purpose cleaner.  It is very simple, but cleans well and has lasted quite a while, although I did double it for my bottle.
1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups water



Then I made the dish detergent, but still haven't decided if I like it.  If any of you have tried another or have any good tips, please leave a comment.  I do like that I don't have to spend $4 on the store bought version though!
The next product I tried is AMAZING!!!!  I used it on my shower door once and haven't had to clean it again in about 3 weeks.  I let it sit for about an hour before I rinsed it off and it came off with little "scrubbing".  Please, if you don't try any of these other cleaners, try this one!  It is wonderful!





The last product I have switched is my laundry detergent.  I was very hesitant to do so because of Selah's eczema.  I wasn't sure how her sensitive skin would react.  So far, so good, but I will update soon, after I'm sure.
I used Michelle Duggar's recipe, although I'm sure it's not her original, but I got it out of her book (thanks PJ!).
This is the one that spent most of my $20 because of the 5 gallon bucket and container to dispense the soap.  I took about a week to find the exact one I wanted, found it at Walmart (good ol' WM).

But I haven't been limited to cleaning products in my natural switch.  I really began in late December when I started using olive oil as a facial cleanser and moisturizer.  I tried after reading a friends blog and thinking it would be worth a try.

The other care product I switched recently is shampoo!  I never thought I would try it, but that is one of the things I really hate spending money on.  So I started with the basic, baking soda shampooing but the other day I ran across this post that I found to have so much information and things I might like to try.
all crafts 6 Home Recipes For Hair  {naturally beautiful hair}

I am writing this post thinking that you probably will not even care about what products I use in my home, but I am so pleased with how it's going so far.  And I am on the verge of meeting my monthly grocery budget  for the first time in so long.  I do, however, hope this post interests you enough for you to begin some research on your own.  It's worth it!

*photos are not mine, but borrowed from corresponding website.

1 comment:

mattandpj said...

Hey Tiff! So glad you wrote this post. I used a $2 Tractor Supply 5-gallon bucket for mixing detergent and an empty container of X-Large tide to dispense my detergent. I wash like crazy. Made my batch in August, and I STILL have it! Be sure you dilute it half and half with water once you put it in your container, and it will last. Also, you don't use a whole cup like regular detergent. I add lavendar essential oil to mind for a scent I like. Also, will you post the "shower cleaning" recipe? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Just using vinegar in the dishwasher as a rinse aid and the laundry detergent has saved us soooo much. Love ya'll. Miss you. We plan to come up in June(end of) and do a few days of lessons with the girlies if you want. Love you.PJ