Friday, May 21, 2010

Already

I can't believe it's already been one year that Granny died.  Sometimes it seems like yesterday, and other times I feel like she's been gone forever.  Lately, it seems like there has been so much to make me think of her.  She was one of my best friends, she knew more about me than most people, and I miss calling her when things happen. 
The other day I was working on some sewing projects.  Not only do I have her sewing machine, but I couldn't figure out how to make something work.  My first thought was to call Granny, but she's not there to call anymore. 
I scroll over her name in my phone all the time and think I should delete it, but can't bring myself to do it. 
My girls are both growing and learning so much. Selah is almost writing her name, and Rinnah is now walking.  It would have brought Granny so much joy to see this all.  She never met Rinnah.
I am saddened by all this, then I stop myself and Praise God.
Thank you Lord that you gave me a grandmother that I could be so close with.  That you allowed me the time I had to learn so much from Granny... as a wife, as a mother, a woman, and a Christian.  She taught me to sew when I was so young, and we were always cooking or baking something.  Many of the recipes I use are ones that she cooked so often. 
I am so proud of her legacy and  plan to carry on and pass it down.
My Granny and Pawpaw were two amazing people who always cared more about others than themselves.  They seldom did anything that wasn't to benefit others, or make someone else's day better.  Many times they opened their home and lives to family members needing  a place to live.  Very often you would find Granny in the kitchen fixing a meal to take to a family in need, or Pawpaw at someone's house working on a broken something-or-other.  I can't remember a time they were not able to attend a function of their grandchildren's because they had something better to do.  And they always arrived with snacks and treats for the whole crowd.
No doubt they are some of the most selfless people I know.  Nothing was ever about them, always about others.
I am sorry today that Granny never heard me say this, but thankful for her life and lessons she passed along.

2 comments:

~SHO~ said...

Sniff, sniff...that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)
Blessings~
S

The Mershawn's said...

That was really sweet. I'm sure she knows how much she meant to you. And I'm so glad you were so blessed with such a wonderful lady to love you so much.